Some learners may claim that they want or need grammar, although at the
same time suggest that they don’t enjoy it. Some teachers feel that their learners’
knowledge of grammar is demonstrable proof of language acquisition.
Thus to help to avoid a plenty of typical mistakes as a result of
interference of the native language and to develop and to automatize the main skills and
abilities in oral and in written speech, while using the Present Simple, these exercises
are presented here.
The arrangement is based on the thematic, communicative and
differentiated principles; exercises are placed in the growth of complication.
Despite the enormous amount of research done on language acquisition,
no one has come up with a definite description of how we acquire either our native
language or a foreign language which takes account of every language learner or the
teaching style of every teacher. Every learner has different interests and different
requirements, and every teacher has a different style and approach to what they teach.
This course attempts to adopt an approach which appeals to differing
styles of learning and teaching.
Read the following verbs in the 3d person singular
writes, reads, gets, has, takes, gives, brushes, washes, cleans, dreams, thinks, plays,
hates, happens, ends, finishes, turns, asks, answers, drives, publishes, tries, appears,
watches, sees, looks, verifies, hurries, lends, borrows, decides, awakens, wakes, leaves,
sits, stands, cries, kills, receives, matches, fixes, repairs, learns, dresses, chooses,
Put the following words into three columns: [ s ], [ iz ] and [ z ]
Work, go, know, change, buy, end, hurry, play, wash, ride add, wish, drive, stay,
watch, mix, open, do, say, clean, talk, visit reach, sit, like, study, love, dance, close,
speak, read, finish, fly, run
Choose the correct form of the verbs in the third person, singular
|1. to take
|2. to fly
||a) f lys
|3. to go
|4. to study
|5. to play
|6. to ask
|7, to see
|8. to arrive
|9. to wash
|10. to try
Put the verb’s ending "s” or "es” and you’ll learn some
interesting English proverbs. Give the Russian equivalents for them
- A cat in gloves catch ... no mice.
- Early to bed, early to rise make ... a man healthy, wealthy and wise..
- All work and no play make ...Jack a dull boy.
- Fortune favour ... the brave.
- An apple a day keep….. the doctor away.
- A barking dog seldom bite… .
- An early bird catch ... the worm
Complete the rhyme and learn it by heart.
- On Monday Tom drive... his car.
- On Tuesday he go ... to the cinema.
- On Wednesday he go ... for a run
- On Thursday he lie ... in the sun.
- On Friday he go ... shopping.
- On Saturday he dance ... without stopping.
- On Sunday he sleep ... until ten.
- Then get... ready to start the week again.
Finish the verbs and tell the story to your friends
"My pen friends”
I’ve got two pen friends from Great Britain: Judy and Mike
- Judy live ... in London.
- She studi ... in a secondary school.
- She read ... romantic novels.
- Her parents are sometimes angry with her because she watch ... TV every day.
- She speak ... English and German.
- And she want... to learn Russian.
- When she ha ... some free time she like ... to play tennis. She's got a cat.
- She adore… it. .
- Mike live ... in Manchester.
- He studi…at college.
- He like ... horror films...
- He rarely watch ... TV. He's very busy with his studies.
- He speak ... English and French.
- He find ... it difficult to learn Russian
- When he ha … some free time he usually play ... football or volleyball.
- He keep ... a dog at home. He is lucky!
||go to a restaurant
||from time to time
||write letters to us
||once a week
||go to a dance
||once in a while
||use their car
||gives us a lot of homework
||makes mistakes in translation
||eat meat or fish at supper
||rains here on Sundays.
||buy tickets in advance
||sends her flowers
||takes a shower
||get up very late
||use the underground
||go to the country
Put verbs into correct form
He ____(listen) to the seven o'clock news with us.
- She ___ (speak) three foreign languages.
- My brother ____ (work) in an office.
- He ____ (get) up early in the morning.
- He ____ (do) his morning exercises to music.
- He___ (exercise) every day.
- He ___ (come) back horde from the office at 6:00.
- He ____ (go) to the bathroom and ____ (wash) his hands.